I have fallen in love with making my own everything! Seriously, if there’s a recipe for it online I’m going to try to make it. Soap, lip balm, whipped body lotion, candles, toner, scented cleaning vinegar, deodorant, and the list goes on and on and on!
I’ve always had fun making new things but since I’ve started working for The Refillery my interest in the DIY recipes has blossomed! Then a few months ago I was introduced to Simply Earth, an essential oil subscription box that comes complete with recipe cards!! Could it get any better?
The only downfall to weekend DIY-fests is running out of or not having the right ingredients. That’s what lead me to make this complete list of raw ingredients every DIYer needs at all times. I’ll share my favorite places to shop below also if you’re looking to add any of these ingredients to your DIY closet.
Links in this post contain referral links that help support this blog.
- Coconut Oil – 100% pure unrefined cold pressed coconut oil! This is the solid stuff you can find online and in some grocery or health food stores.
- Almond Oil – Another 100% pure carrier oil that is common in DIY recipes. It nourishes your skin without clogging your pores.
- Beeswax Pellets – These are made of 100% pure beeswax but in small pellets to help them melt quicker. You can typically find them in white and yellow color.
- Shea Butter – This is great for lotion, creams, lip balms, and deodorant recipes and softens your skin naturally. I prefer the unrefined and organic shea butter.
- Soy Wax – The perfect eco-friendly wax for making candles in jars and tins.
- Jojoba Oil – Cold-pressed from Jojoba seeds, this carrier oil that mimics your body’s natural oil without being too greasy or heavy.
- Fractionated Coconut Oil – This type of coconut oil will stay liquid and not solidify so it is a great makeup remover, hair mask, carrier oil, and is an essential ingredient in lotions and recipes.
- Castile Soap – Castile soap is a natural and vegan soap base that can be used in so many cleaning and skincare recipes. You can get it unscented or scented with your favorite essential oil scents. Castile soap can be used for face, hair, laundry, dishes, and so much more!
- Distilled Vinegar – Vinegar is a staple in our house. We use it for cleaning, cooking, and laundry! I absolutely love to add grapefruit skin and let it sit for a few weeks to become fragrant.
- Essential Oils – I finally have a good variety of different essential oils from the Simply Earth Subscription Box and I’m using them daily around the house. I use them in all of my DIY recipes, in my diffuser at night, and in roll on bottles for a DIY natural perfume to lift my spirit naturally. I have been 100% happy with the quality of essential oils available with Simply Earth.
In addition to these raw ingredients, here are a few handy tools and accessories that you will use regularly. You may already have some of these around the house.
- Measuring cups and spoons – I prefer stainless steel because they last so much longer than the plastic ones. I also have a few of the glass measuring cups for melting and pouring ingredients.
- Mixing bowls – I prefer stainless or glass mixing bowls when making DIY recipes because the ingredients can be really sticky and hard to clean from plastic.
- Silicone spatulas & wisks – There’s always mixing, stirring, and whipping that needs to be done when making skincare recipes.
- Roll on bottles – Fill with a carrier oil and your favorite essential oil to make your own blends and fragrances.
- Aluminum tins – These are perfect for refillable lip balm and lotions, plus they fit nicely in your purse.
- Silicone molds – When making soaps, lotion bars, and other DIY recipes a mold is needed to cure the melted ingredients. You can find a ton of cute sizes and shaped molds.
- Candle wick – It can’t hurt to have a bag of candle wix on hands for last minute gifts for friends and family.
The October Simply Earth Recipe Box features all the essentials for making a soy candle and lip balm. You’ll want to make sure you have beeswax and coconut oil on hand because those aren’t included in the regular monthly box. However, if you sign up for the first time you’ll also receive the BIG BONUS BOX with a ton of essential items including coconut oil! I am loving the four new essential oils this month; Sweet Orange, Cassia (think cinnamon-ish scent), Balsam Fir, and a Focus Blend. They are perfect for welcoming the cooler Fall & Winter weather and great for seasonal blends.
To get your first Simply Earth Essential Oil Recipe Box AND the Big Bonus Box be sure to use my referral link and coupon code: BACKTOCALLEYFREE. You’ll also receive a $20 gift cardto use on a future purchase at Simply Earth!
Looking for cloth diapering resources and tips? Visit my cloth diapering archives, follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and on Pinterest.
Subscribe to new posts via your favorite RSS Feed Reader or by Email.
Leave a Reply