A few weeks ago I shared a recipe that I spiked with Square One frozen organic baby food, Healthier for you Potato and Ham Soup. Wednesday nights at our house (OK – every night) is hectic with trying to figure out what’s for dinner. Each Wednesday we attend a small life-group at our local church but it starts at dinner time. The adults do potluck style and eat together but we normally feed the kids before we come. Anyways – that leaves me finding something QUICK to fix the kids before we leave. If your pantry looks like mine I’m sure you have those ’emergency’ boxes of mac-n-cheese for busy nights like tonight.
I’ve really been trying harder this year to make an effort to make dinner more healthy for all of us but especially for the kids. Want to know how I made a box of mac-n-cheese healthier with baby food?
My recipe for Vegged Up Mac-N-Cheese:
1. Take one box of your favorite mac-n-cheese (can be organic, whole wheat, Kraft, or store brand – whatever you purchase) and cook the noodles as directed.
2. Drain water and put the noodles back into the pot.
3. While the kids and hubby aren’t looking add one single size serving of Square One frozen organic pumpkin puree to the pot with the noodles.
4. Add butter and about 1/2 the required milk (to desired consistency) and mix well.
5. SERVE and don’t tell them your secret! They will never know!
I’m always hesitant to try these hidden recipes because I’m afraid they’ll be able to taste my hidden secret. I did the mommy taste test and I couldn’t even taste the difference. I took a deep breath and loaded the kids bowls with the mac-n-cheese. To add a little more nutrition they like it when I add some cooked (from frozen) peas to the mix.
Guess what? They asked for seconds!!
More information on Square One frozen organic superfoods: