During my long weekend in NYC for BlogHer I had the opportunity to bond with one very awesome lady – Mrs. Kelly Wels– the owner of DiaperShops.com, Kelly’s Closet and The Cloth Diaper Whisperer (stop laughing Mel and Cindy – my besties IRL who giggle at me and my online life).
I made plans ahead of time to meet up with Kelly for multiple reasons – primarily because I didn’t really know a lot of other blogger’s and neither did she. Kelly has always been willing to work with me on both of my blogs and with multiple projects related to cloth diapering and I was super excited to finally meet her in real life. What I didn’t expect was to come home with such a wonderful new friend.
Kelly is married and has three adorable little kids ages 12, 10, and 2. Her oldest (Olivia – 12) helps out in the warehouse and is learning the business quite well. When asked if she was done having kids the response was “I don’t know!” She purely loves being a mother and raising her kids – in cloth diapers of course! As an active part of her local community Kelly is participating in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure later this month – if you are interested in donating to her team you can read more on her blog post; Impact – Make One.
INTERESTING FACT: Did you know that The Cloth Diaper Whisperer blog posts at least one new post EVERY day? You can submit articles for publication too and earn Diaper Dollar rewards.
We ended up spending much of the weekend together; attending sessions (a few at least), strolling through the exhibit hall, and site seeing. I have to laugh at the site seeing part because we ended up going out to dinner on Friday night and had no idea where we were going. I pulled out my iPhone and tried to use Urban Spoon but there are so many choices in NYC – so we just decided to walk until we found something! We walked and walked (not really with a plan in mind) until we found a cute outdoor restaurant by a church. As we were walking back to the hotel I THINK we passed by Rockefeller Center – but we were so busy talking about cloth diapers that we totally missed it! On Saturday we did much of the same – popping in and out of sessions. We also met Jenn (Owner of Cotton Babies/bumGenius) for lunch at the conference and had some wonderful discussions about the industry and their respective businesses. I have to admit I felt a little giddy standing with these two women – both having such huge cloth diapering businesses – who chose to have lunch with me!
And I’ll never forget how hard it was for us not to harrass the Earth’s Best representative about their disposable diapers and how he was going to convince the two of us that they were better for the environment! He had no idea what he was getting himself into when we walked up! LOL! Guess what – he doesn’t even have any kids. I wonder if his thoughts will change if he ever does have kids?
I was looking forward to one more evening with Kelly when she got a call from home – her kids missed her so bad that she decided to surprise them and return a day early! What an awesome mom! While I was really hoping to have her as my party friend at A Green Affair that evening I know that her kids were happy to see her. Thanks Kelly for sharing your weekend with me – I truly loved every minute of it!
Five reasons you should shop at Kelly’s Closet:
1. Diaper Dollars Reward Program – earn points for every dollar you spend online that you can redeem for gift certificates to buy MORE fluff!
2. HUGE selection – there aren’t many brands that Kelly doesn’t carry!
3. COUPONS– each week Kelly offers unique coupon codes (received through their Newsletter and other social media outlets) for great savings and FREE fluff and accessories. I just used coupon code GROWIPESTEN today and got myself a free pack of GroVia disposable baby wipes for free with my $10 purchase. (I needed to restock my flushable liners – a staple in this house)
4. Customer Service– communication is key at Kelly’s Closet and you can always guarantee a timely response to your emails, questions or concerns. You can reach Kelly’s Closet via email, Facebook, and on Twitter too.
5. I’m an affiliate – every time you shop Kelly’s Closet using the links on my blog I earn a tiny percentage from your sale to keep this blog alive. Thanks Kelly – and thanks to all of you for your support! *PS – you can earn affiliate commissions too for your blog!
Disclosure: While I do earn affiliate income from Kelly’s Closet my feeling towards Kelly are genuine and she really does ROCK the cloth diaper retailing world! I promise to never tell you our little secrets about what was inside our little black bags we received as swag from one of the sessions at BlogHer and I promise to never tell you who the otherKelly Wels is (the one I didn’t meet at BlogHer). I will promise you that I will be working with Kelly again in the very near future. XOXO!