My wonderful family will be joining me at BlogHer 10 in August. I have an awesome husband who doesn’t mind traveling the world with me while I work – but this is different. Usually when we travel it’s for my day job and I HAVE to work. This trip – while I consider it work – is really more of a hobby. I’m looking to network and learn how to make my blog work for me – and maybe one day be my day job. Of course I say that with hesitation – because I have a really good job and it would take a LOT for my blog to replace that income.
So – back to cloth diapers and my husband. He’s really patient with me and my desire to travel with our fluff but we’ve always driven when we’ve been gone for more than 2-3 days. We’ve never packed our fluff for a plane ride. I mean how does that work? I’m staying at a hotel and don’t really want to do laundry (more likely HE would have to do it – and that’s NOT happening while on vaca) OR carry dirty diapers back on the plane. I would NOT do that to the airport employees – can you imagine a screener at the airport having to inspect THAT bag? NO – that’s not an option.
Here are my options as I see them today (I may change my mind after I hear your input):
1) Pack all our fluff in our suitcases (which I hear will be full of swag on the way home) and have to ask the Hilton to use their laundry facility to wash fluff at night after everyone is asleep. **Really this doesn’t sound appealing to me.
2) Find a diaper service in NYC and use pre-folds and covers – which we’ve never really used. I’ve played around with them but not hubby.
Did you know you can search for diaper services? The Real Diaper Industry Association (RDIA) has a list on their website.
Here are my fears with using a diaper service:
– Pre-folds scare me – I’m a spoiled pocket girl.
– I only own 2 diaper covers – but I guess I could use my pockets as covers, right? Services don’t include covers.
– Will daddy be open to trying something new while we are away – and he’ll be the primary diaper changer? I have horrible memories of a blow out that occurred in New Orleans while he was out on the town with the kids – let’s just say it wasn’t pretty!
Here is what excited me about using a diaper service:
– I can pack less and still use cloth diapers.
– I don’t have to do laundry for 4 days!
– I don’t have to use disposables (saving money, packing space, and the environment)
– As an advocate for cloth diapers I really SHOULD try this and make it work.
I decided to call/email www.DiaperKind.com and inquire about their services for travelers. <Thanks Heather for the link> Shortly after my email I received a great response from Sarah. Diaper Kind will deliver a stash of pre-folds, some loaner covers, and a loner diaper pail at my hotel for me – for all 4 days that I’m going to be in New York – and for less than $40 total. I’m super excited that they have some loner covers because I only have 2 covers in my stash – I didn’t really want to invest in covers that I don’t really need. Now – to get daddy on board with my plan! I do have an EconoBum on hand for him to practice with before we leave.
What are your experiences with traveling with your cloth? I’ve mastered it for short trips and when staying with friends/family – but not hotels and airplanes.
Want to read more about traveling with cloth diapers? How about an article by the Real Diapering Association about traveling with cloth…in a rain forest! Really – it’s quite inspiring!