It’s been 12 days since I installed the Kid Pointz parenting app on my iPhone and iPad. I’m a tad bit excited about how well it’s working for us and thought I’d give you an update.
My kids both love the award and reward system. They actually look for ways to earn a few more points each day. At the beginning my son was so excited that he woke up before me and completed his daily chores so he could earn his reward points sooner. They both have the opportunity to earn about 7-10 points a day, with a few extras that I can apply for really good (above average) behavior.
Below are a few tasks my kids can earn points for (not a complete list):
- Practicing karate (my oldest)
- Brushing their teeth (both)
- Cleaning their room (both)
- Placing their clothes in the hamper (both)
- Doing the dishes (my oldest)
- Eating all their food (both)
- Feeding the pets (my oldest)
- Getting dressed without help (my toddler)
- Having a good day at school (both)
- and a few other random chores and tasks.
I tried to pick out areas in which my kids need constant reminders on so that if they do them by themselves and without complaining they can earn their points. My toddler especially needs a little motivation to dress herself in the morning – she likes it when I baby her.
Rewards – Of course kids love rewards! Any guesses on where they spend their points first?? Here’s a few examples of the types of rewards we’ve assigned them:
- 30 minutes of screen time (video games, cartoons, iPad, etc) – 5pts
- Play a board game with mom and dad – 25 pts
- $1 iTunes credit (with no limit on what they spend it on – even if it’s a stupid add-on to an app) – 20 pts
- Toy from the toy closet (we acquired quite a few items from the Big Toy Book and Hasbro parties that we attending while at BlogHer – I didn’t want to give them all the goodies at once!!) – 20 pts (for small toys) and 25 pts (for larger toys)
- Sleep with mom and dad on the weekends – 5 pts (especially made for my toddler who NEVER wants to sleep alone)
Speaking of NEVER wanting to go to sleep!!! It’s 11:30 at night and I have a small visitor in my room. I’m trying to decide if she’s actually scared of something in her room (noises probably) or if she just wants to sleep with us. She actually earns points if she makes it through the night in her own room. I guess I need to go snuggle with her for a few minutes to see if she’ll go back to her room or not. Anyone have any tips on this one for me?? White noise machines? Music? Help!!
The thing I’m loving most about the Kid Pointz system is that it’s allowing me (and my kids) to be more accountable for our actions and establish healthy routines. Have you installed the app or started using any of their reward charts? How are they working for you?Disclosure: I was compensated for writing my original post on the Kid Pointz system but was under no obligation to continue to write about it. I’m really enjoying the system and felt like it was important enough to share with you. P.S….the reward my kids request most often?? 30 minutes of screen time!!!
Looking for cloth diapering resources and tips? Visit my cloth diapering archives, follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and on Pinterest.
Subscribe to new posts via your favorite RSS Feed Reader or by Email.