Did you know that in 2011 alone, Americans, with the help of ENERGY STAR, saved enough energy to avoid greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to those from 41 million cars — all while saving $23 billion on their utility bills and reducing the pollution that contributes to heart disease, asthma and allergies. Pretty impressive little fact, huh? I bet you didn’t think that “ENERGY STAR” sticker really made that big of a difference did you?
5 Easy Summer Energy Saving Tips
- Use more natural light. Turn off the indoor lights and open the blinds. Enjoy the natural light that the sun provides and you’ll reduce your energy usage.
- Adjust the thermostat. Keep your air conditioner set at 78F or higher during the summer months to maximize your energy efficiency. Even if you set it higher when you aren’t home and slightly cooler during the hours you are home you’ll be saving money and energy.
- Line dry your clothing. The summer months are the best time to line dry your laundry because they dry within just a few short hours (maybe quicker). Even if you can’t have a laundry line outside you could use something like the LOFTi system in your laundry room or back porch.
- Eat raw foods, salads, and grill out. Simplify your dinners by eating raw foods and salads. If you really want to cook use the grill outdoors to reduce your energy consumption. The most eco-friendly grilling method is a charcoal or wood fired grill with chemical free charcoal or wood chips. Propane would be an OK option but not as eco-friendly as the first. Grilling smaller portions of food like kabobs take less time to cook which will reduce your environmental impact.
- Have a picnic at a park, beach, or in your backyard. Enjoy a little outdoor time with your family and pack a picnic dinner to take to your favorite spot. Eating outdoors will not only save you energy but it will allow you to spend some quality time with your family.
Team ENERGY STAR is a program of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) that provides families with resources and tools to help preserve our environment, prevent climate change, and create a healthier world. They have teamed up with a group of eco-friendly bloggers to help raise awareness of their program. Please come back on June 12, when Big Green Purse will be hosting a carnival of posts from many bloggers who support energy efficiency and Team ENERGY STAR. Also on June 12th at 2pm ET you can join @ENERGYSTAR on Twitter for a fun afternoon Twitter Party where you can meet with the professionals and get all your questions answered live. I’ll have more information about #TeamENERGYSTAR later this week to share with you.
Here’s a little more about the ENERGY STAR program and what it can offer you and your family.
Go ahead and click on over and Join Team ENERGY STAR today! Leave a comment below and let me know how you and your family reduce your energy usage during the summer.
Disclosure: I am part of the Team ENERGY STAR blogger team and received a few fun ENERGY STAR goodies as a thank you for my participation. No other compensation was received.
Looking for cloth diapering resources and tips? Visit my cloth diapering archives, follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and on Pinterest.
Subscribe to new posts via your favorite RSS Feed Reader or by Email.